Wednesday, June 10, 2020

ME & COVID-19 (#gocoronago)

These days instead of a work schedule, I start my day by planning which part of the house needs to be disinfected. Corona seems to have taken over all my senses I am feeling lethargic (what else can you feel while working from home but also having to do house work!) ; I am so paranoid,  I keep count of my sneezes and coughs; and then I try to  remind myself to wash my hands constantly. But nothing just nothing seems to be enough. 

The virus has affected people around me as well. I wake up thinking it is my birthday daily because my hubby sings  happy birthday while washing his hands in full volume, and I have anyway lost count of dates and months, said one of my friends. One of my colleagues boasted that his 14-month-old was learning the alphabets quickly because their whole family sings ABCD while washing hands!   There is trauma too. Another colleague is a bit worried as her baby starts crying if her husband comes without the mask. 

Covid has also become a matter of neighbourhood gossip.  When the lady who lives upstairs sneezed a few times last evening, all the neighbours came knocking at her door (equipped with masks and gloves etc., of course). -  Tadke me mirchi thodi zyada hogayi,my neighbour consoled them (fried a few extra chillies in the oil by mistake), which resulted in a collective. ohhhh. Whether that oh was a sigh of relief or an expression of disappointment, is still a question to me! Which lane has how many patients and who is allowing the maid, who can be a silent carrier; are the gossips passed on the chat groups.

When the lockdown first started, we would watch the news regularly. But the news got irritating when channels started displaying the number of infected, discharged and the dead individuals as if they were displaying an IPL scoreboard. Things became worse, when a month later there was a different score board that of migrant workers walking home from sprawling the cities. I became increasingly disgusted as these figures became stepping stones for politicians. 

After much ado about clapping, candle-burning, and flower- showering, the frontline workers are still overwhelmed, and India is still confused. Is subscribing to the newspaper safe? Can I walk my pet? How many hours does the virus stay on various surfaces? And most importantly, when do I need to get tested, and will I get a bed in the hospital if things become dire?? There is no clarity, and everyone seems to be following their own rule-book. Some are washing everything with soap, others are soaking all their fresh produce in salt water, and then there are some who are keeping all the items away for 12 to 18 hours. People are using camphor and turmeric as immunity boosters; propagating that certain teas help you boost immunity; and then some geniuses are, using AND consuming bleach, yeeks (WTF!!) 

The emergence of Covid19 has led to mass hysteria. Whatsapp chats are filled with memes and advisories about a terrible 2020.  And people are ready to curse the astrologers who predicted a great year! India has now also given this virus, the status of a demigod.  In eastern parts of India, many have started calling the virus “Corona Maai, and are praying for her to go away and leave humanity in peace.  

The pandemic has also been compounded by anti-China sentiments.  Many have been asking me not to use cash or cards as they can carry the virus. Instead, you should use Paytm you know, it is contactless;but and in the same breath they continue, also refrain from using Chinese products. Boycott Chinese products. What? Why? If I am not to use Chinese products, my phone will be the first to go, followed by the Paytm app, and the medicines, and the masks!

But the lockdown also has a brighter side. The utensils become cleaner without using too much soap, and a small bottle of floor- cleaner lasts a month. Losing weight is automatic. Now, I can fit into my old blouses and trousers! The air outside is much more breathable than it was 2 -3 months ago as well. And although we have been working from home, my house seems much more organized.  The lockdown has also helped me realize that my husband is capable of washing dishes, doing laundry, and cooking very well!

No one can see the end of this Covid-19 tunnel yet. Until then, let's do our bit for the needy, and help each other survive as we make history.  Chanting Go Corona Go, is not going to save us. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment